Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Control Electrical & Instrument Engineer
Atkins is one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins Nuclear is currently seeking a Control, Electrical & Instrumentation Engineer (CE&I) to join the nuclear team in Richland, WA.
Applies knowledge of engineering principles to design products such as power distribution systems, power and instrumentation panels, programmable logic control systems (PLCs), instrumentation and interlock logic circuits. Conversant in the selection of commercially available equipment, which may include PLCs, variable-frequency drives (VFDs), transformers, lighting and viewing systems. May be involved in operation, application, installation and/or repair of CE&I systems.
- Performs a variety of engineering calculations using traditional engineering methods to document compliance with project and code requirements, which may include lighting, volt drop, conductor sizing and panel heat generation calculations.
- Generates, and is fully conversant with wiring diagrams, single line drawings, loop diagrams, control architectural drawings/specifications, electrical and instrumentation specifications, data sheets and control philosophy documents.
- Assists in the preparation and approval of design documents and plant modifications, including supervision of designers in document development in accordance with approved procedures, processes and design requirements.
- Provides technical expertise and guidance to develop, manage and implement engineering analysis, activities and programs to identify and resolve equipment and system problems.
- Familiar with national codes and standards appropriate to the CE&I Engineering discipline.
- Ensures relevant design criteria, specifications, practices, procedures and codes and site design and safety and licensing basis are used in preparation of design media.
- Interfaces with staff, within the team and supporting subcontractors to ensure work is being completed in a safe and efficient manner, ensuring that safety is an integral element embodied in equipment design and specification.
- Works in multi-discipline teams on project-based work and ensures integration of design across multiple disciplines.
- Performs checking to ensure accuracy of design media in accordance with company policies and procedures and client expectations.
- Works on a timeline, ensuring the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of work and initiates corrective measures to overcome delays.
- Understands, complies and is responsible for working to environmental health and safety policies and procedures and attends meetings as required. Provides supervision and leadership to members of the design team, commensurate with seniority.
- Recommends new equipment, concepts and techniques to improve performance, simplify design, reduce costs, correct design flaws, or to comply with changes in client requirements, codes or regulations.
- Performs independent research, reviews, studies and analyses in support of plant changes and design modifications.
- Supports installation and testing of site systems and components.
- Participates in the preparation of cost estimates for engineering services to internal and external clients and coordinates work assignments to meet project-established schedules and budgets.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or related technical degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years' experience required
- No certifications required, Professional Engineering License preferred
- Strong communication skills
- Intermediate knowledge of CE&I Systems design software and Microsoft Office
- Intermediate knowledge of functional discipline and its practical application
- Effective knowledge of industry codes and regulations
- Strong communication skills – able to present design media to clients and customers
- Advanced knowledge of CE&I Systems design software and Microsoft Office
- Strong knowledge of functional discipline and its practical application
- Strong knowledge of industry codes and regulations
- Strong knowledge of management of complex engineering projects
- Relies on experience and judgment
- Works under limited supervision
- Significant creativity and latitude is expected
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.