Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Heavy Haul Driver - Regional
at Caterpillar Inc.
- Pickups and delivers equipment as assigned throughout assigned region (intrastate) on a timely basis using a Class 8 truck with Lowboy trailer.
- Determines most efficient route based on load weight, road, and traffic conditions.
- Instructs customers on proper equipment use and safety procedures.
- Completes status updates using dispatching software, trip envelopes and bill of lading as required.
- Loads and unloads equipment onto trailer. Follows all safety requirements to ensure equipment is secured properly.
- Maintains a Driver’s Log Book as required by DOT regulations.
- Follows DOT rules and regulations regarding oversize loads and permits. Administers daily inspection requirements. Meets all DOT driver qualifications rules and regulations. Maintains current CDL.
- Completes documents for invoice closeout at the end of each haul.
- Monitors trip permits, overweight and length permits. Ensures proper documentation is on hand during haul.
- Maintains company truck and trailer appearance and mechanical condition. Schedules necessary repairs, washes and polishes as necessary.
- Reports any delays due to breakdowns, weather or traffic conditions or other emergencies, or in the event of irregularities relating to pickup or delivery of equipment.
- Reports all accidents and incidents involving drivers or company equipment. Reports highway safety hazards noted in route.
- Assists with CRS deliveries as needed
- Adheres to all customer care standards.
- Actively cares and advocates safety at Western States. Adhere to all applicable safety policies, procedures and standards.
- May accomplish training and serve as a team member in support of Western States’ strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
- Work within and promote corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of Caterpillar equipment and diesel trucks and trailers.
- Knowledge of DOT legal requirements.
- Knowledge of permitting oversized loads and routing.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills required.
- Knowledge and use of Microsoft computer products or other comparable systems required.
- Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision required.
- Ability to work overtime with minimal notice required.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Consistent attendance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Lowboy experience, knowledge of permitting oversize loads and routing required.
- Knowledge of light construction equipment usage and operation & mechanical ability required
- Excellent driving record with current Class A - CDL license with triples endorsement and DOT physical card required.
- Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time along with walking, sitting, climbing stairs, reaching pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
- Able to lift up to 75 lbs in accordance with Western States’ Lifting Safe Work Practice to include amount and approach.
- Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. It is not intended be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this classification