Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Heavy Haul Driver - Route Haul
at Caterpillar Inc.
The Heavy Haul Route Driver delivers and picks up equipment and attachments to and from Western States locations on a defined route using a Class 8 truck with Step-Deck trailer. Driver will cover long distances throughout Western States’ territory, maintains company truck and trailer for proper operating condition, and schedules necessary repairs.
• Pickups and delivers equipment and attachments as assigned on defined route throughout Western States’ territory (interstate) on a timely and routine basis using a Class 8 truck with step-deck trailer.
• Determines most efficient route based on load weight, road, and traffic conditions.
• Instructs customers on proper equipment use and safety procedures.
• Builds customer relationships. Sells Heavy Haul services to customers for pickup and delivery services to ensure loads are full. Works with Heavy Haul Dispatcher to get customers needs scheduled.
• Completes status updates using dispatching software, trip envelopes and bill of lading, as required.
• Loads and unloads equipment onto trailer. Follows all safety requirements to ensure equipment is secured properly.
• Maintains a Driver’s Electronic Log Book as required by DOT regulations.
• Follows DOT rules and regulations regarding oversize loads and permits. Administers daily inspection requirements. Meets all DOT driver qualifications rules and regulations. Maintains current CDL.
• Completes documents for invoice closeout at the end of each haul.
• Monitors trip permits, overweight and length permits. Ensures proper documentation is on hand during haul.
• Maintains company truck and trailer appearance and mechanical condition. Schedules necessary repairs, washes and polishes as necessary.
• Reports any delays due to breakdowns, weather or traffic conditions or other emergencies, or in the event of irregularities relating to pickup or delivery of equipment.
• Reports all accidents and incidents involving drivers or company equipment. Reports highway safety hazards noted in route.
• Works irregular work schedule which includes overnight, long trips away from base location, short notice for assignment of trips, and tight delivery schedules.
• Route Driver will be away from base location a minimum of (3) nights per week. Driver is expected to utilize sleeper while away from base location.
• Adheres to all customer care standards.
• Actively cares and advocates safety at Western States. Adhere to all applicable safety policies, procedures and standards.
• May accomplish training and serve as a team member in support of Western States’ strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
• Work within and promote corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Working knowledge of Caterpillar equipment and diesel trucks and trailers.
• Knowledge of DOT legal requirements.
• Knowledge of permitting oversized loads and routing.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills required.
• Knowledge and use of Microsoft computer products or other comparable systems required.
• Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision required.
• Ability to work overtime with minimal notice required.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others.
• Consistent attendance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
• One year Step-Deck & Lowboy experience delivering similar equipment; knowledge of permitting oversize loads and routing required.
• Knowledge of light construction equipment usage and operation & mechanical ability required.
• Excellent driving record with current Class A - CDL license and DOT physical card required.
• Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time along with walking, sitting, climbing stairs, reaching pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
• Must be able to lift 75 pounds.
• Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.