Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Software Development Engineer III
at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Job ID
- Regular Full-Time
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Information Technology
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
The Hutch Data Commonwealth (HDC) represents a new organization within the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center with a mission to develop new capabilities and resources to facilitate the center’s interaction with large and complex data sets. HDC data and software engineers develop robust resources for the management and analysis of data in support of both local and extramural research activities. The HDC also serves as a nexus within Fred Hutch for data-centered partnerships with technology companies and academic organizations.
With guidance, the Software Development Engineer III role is to provide software solutions where no optimal software solutions exist to support the mission of Fred Hutch. In this role, you will work with a collaborative team of engineers, product managers, and others. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are necessary along with a passion for building high quality applications following software development best practices. You will primarily be extending an existing web application, used by hundreds of Center scientists, designing and implementing new functionalities in a PostgreSQL/Java/Angular stack. Currently on-prem, our roadmap includes moving some components to the cloud within the next year. We develop iteratively and work closely with our customers.
As part of the HDC software group, you may also become involved in other, smaller projects including productionalizing data science workflows or implementing data discovery tools. These projects utilize a range of technologies including Python, Docker, Reach, NodeJS, OAuth and multiple cloud providers.
The Software Development Engineer III reports to the Software Development Engineer Manager or Director.
This position offers flexible scheduling options and a commitment to work-life balance.
- Work with product managers and customers to understand and translate business needs to technical requirements.
- Participate in an iterative product delivery model, applying Agile principles to continuously improve team processes.
- Collaborate with Scientific Computing staff to streamline deployment processes, improve application monitoring and containerize services to support cloud deployment.
- Contribute to, follow and maintain knowledge of current software development trends, best practices, industry tools and standards.
- Coach/mentor junior developers.
- Create and maintain documentation.
- Participate in code and design reviews.
- Trouble-shoot and fix bugs.
- Provide Tier 2 Support of software (business hours only).
- 5+ years professional experience in software development
- Expertise with modern OOP programming paradigms / languages, especially Java
- Database design and development, preferably PostgreSQL
- Solid understanding of software testing methodologies. Ability to write test plans that include both manual and automated testing
- Proven track record of delivering on multiple complex projects through all stages of the development lifecycle; design through deployment
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Experience writing or consuming REST based APIs
- Unix experience
- Experience with gradle, git and IntelliJ IDEA
- Experience building or extending LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System)
- Interest in biomedical research
- Design and deliver formal and informal presentations on a variety of technical topics