HMS Global Maritime, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Deckhand - Part Time
at HMS Global Maritime, Inc.
HMS Ferries, Inc. seeks an enthusiastic and motivated Deckhand to provide service excellence to our guests, and crew! Would you describe yourself as:
- Socially Poised
If this sounds like you, keep reading.
This role requires extreme precision and resourcefulness.
For consideration, all applicants must copy and paste this link into a new browser window and complete a brief survey: https://www.cindexinc.com/c/6E6B8A Once this survey is completed you MUST return back to the application to complete the process.
The Deckhand position for Pierce County, WA monitors deck areas onboard the vessel, as well as passengers and vehicles, to ensure safety during ferry operation and/or special events. The Deckhand handles lines and rigging to launch or dock the boat and performs custodial and/or general maintenance tasks as directed. The Deckhand provides a high level of customer service to all guests.
Please note, this is a day-to-day passenger ferry operation with no rotational assignment. Thus, there is NO messing and NO berthing included.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Remain true to and champion the Company’s Core Values and Code of Conduct.
- Safety First – Safety shall remain the highest priority at all times. Be an active advocate of, and participant in, the HMS Safety Culture.
- Consider reliability and efficiency with regard to Company operations.
Safety and Security
- Monitor passenger & crewmember safety issues on the vessel. Ensure that safety equipment is utilized and appropriate guidelines are followed for all tasks involving physical risk or hazardous materials
- Participate in meetings, training, drills and safety audits as required by USCG & company policy
- Develop understanding of all phases of shipboard safety procedures and knowledge of location and use of all firefighting and safety equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers, fire stations, life preservers, work vest, life floats, and rescue boat)
- Use proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Handle and dispose of all chemicals and other types of hazardous or caustic materials in compliance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) (as required).
- Report safety related concerns.
- Handle mooring lines to dock or undock the vessel.
- Responsible for getting underway, mooring, anchoring, handling lines, and bridge operations in all weather conditions.
- Perform lookout duties while underway, including watching for other vessels and monitoring the waterway for potential unsafe conditions.
- Assist in boarding and disembarking of passengers and vehicles.
- Assist with filling water, bunkering fuel, connecting and disconnecting shore power as directed.
- Perform cleaning and custodial tasks of the vessels and property, including maintenance and construction tasks as assigned and minor engineering repairs and rounds as directed.
- Seek the highest levels of quality and professionalism.
- Work to achieve the highest levels of performance and productivity.
- Assist with training of crew as directed.
- Seek continuous improvement.
Human Resources (HR)
- Comply with rules and regulations contained in the crew handbook and as directed by supervisor including, but not limited to:
- Report to work on time and ready for duty;
- Depart the vessel(s) only when properly relieved;
- Ensure that the proper uniform is worn and grooming standards are met;
- Complete required administrative forms clearly and accurately.
- Understand and comply with the Safety Management System (SMS).
- Understand and comply with Ship Instructions (SIs).
- Maintain Crew Qualification binder.
- Collaborate with other HMS personnel to remain attentive to regulatory requirements and alert to regulatory changes.
- Assist the Master in ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal safety and environmental regulations.
- Assist the Master in ensuring vessel is in an inspection-ready condition at all times.
- Present professional level of customer service and appearance to all clients, both internal and external.
- Report safety, operational, and environmental issues to the vessel master immediately.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements
- HS Diploma
- Professional Certification(s) or License:
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC Card), and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certification, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid Driver’s License
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
- Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to effectively interact with the passengers, guests, and fellow employees.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, quickly-changing environment
- Basic computer skills with Microsoft Office familiarity
- Minimum six (6) months customer service experience preferred
- Previous marine experience or watch standing experience preferred
- One (1) year experience as Deckhand onboard vessels; passenger vessel experience preferred
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
The majority of work is performed in a Marine environment in outdoor conditions with exposure to various temperatures and weather conditions, along with a moderate to loud noise level. The Marine operation is subject to varied wake and motion.
- Ability to stand and walk on nearly a constant basis
- Ability to bend, rotate and reach frequently
- Ability to carry, push/pull and/or lift materials weighing upwards of 75 lbs.
- Ascending/descending stairs or ladders safely
- Ability to manipulate/handle/grip materials required to perform job
- Ability to maneuver through/in/around small and/or confined areas within the vessel
- Must be able to maintain both static and dynamic standing balance to complete various duties associated with job
- Must be capable of performing emergency duties as listed in the vessel’s station bill
- Vision must be correctible to 20/40 with full color vision and no night blindness.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. This job description is not to be construed as an all-inclusive list of all activities, duties and/or responsibilities that are required of the employee. All duties, responsibilities, or activities may be changed, as well as additional duties assigned, at any time with or without notice.