Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Actuarial Associate
at Homesite Insurance
Homesite Insurance was founded in 1997 and was one of the first companies to enable customers to purchase home insurance directly online, during a single visit. Since then, we've continued to innovate rapidly to meet the needs of our customers and their changing expectations.
One thing that's stayed the same since our founding: our commitment to our customers, partners and employees.
Join us on our journey as we continue to grow into a powerful contender in the field of insurance.
We are seeking a strong contributor with relevant experience for a Senior Actuarial Associate role in our Commercial Product and Actuarial team. The Senior Actuarial Associate will work with the Product Managers and Actuaries to ensure that we grow profitably across all lines of business, including entry into new ones. As part of a small but growing team, you will be exposed to a diverse set of business problems. However, the role will primarily contribute to pricing of the insurance products and ad hoc actuarial analysis.
The successful candidate is a creative, out-of-the-box thinker who is intellectually curious with a demonstrated interest in learning. This person will also need to be a self-motivated, high-energy individual who can easily function in a fast-paced, performance-driven environment. He/she must be accustomed to working on multiple tasks in parallel and committed to meeting deadlines, including some with short time frames.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
1. Contribute to manage profitability of commercial products
- Assist in developing, maintaining and improving our pricing tools for each line of business
- Develop state rate filings to ensure Homesite commercial products are priced appropriately across all segments
- Understand profitability on a state basis, and what actions can be taken to improve performance
- Analyze whether the company is selling the right product, to the right customer, at the right price
- Monitor effectiveness of underwriting guidelines
2. Contribute to the development of new products
- The Senior Actuarial Associate may participate in the analysis and implementation of new products
- Perform competitive analysis research, allowing the complete understanding of a competitor’s rate structure
- Customize countrywide product designs to meet the regulatory requirements of each state
4. Functional Expertise
- Gain knowledge in insurance matters that cut across commercial products
- Provide direct and indirect leadership to members of the regional team and mentor less experienced analysts
- Draw insights from data and clearly communicate complex findings to stakeholders and external customers
- Educational Credentials: A bachelor’s degree and quantitative analytical knowledge is required
- Exams: Passing grades on a minimum of 4 Casualty Actuarial exams and desire to achieve Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society (FCAS)
- Relevant experience: A minimum of 3 years of professional experience, ideally including work in Property & Casualty insurance;
- Entrepreneurial Mindset: A self-starter who is willing to learn to identify business opportunities, develop a product plan to capitalize on those opportunities, and successfully implement the plan;
- Structured & Logical Thinking: The ability to learn to identify and define business problems and issues, and develop strategic, analytical, and financial frameworks to conduct analyses;
- Powerful Communication: The ability to communicate effectively and succinctly across a variety of media;
- Analytical Rigor: Motivated individual with strong analytic, problem solving, skills to identify areas of research and recommend improvements. Analyze state performance and identify additional areas of research;
- Teamwork and Adaptability: Ability to be flexible and work as part of a team in ever-changing start-up environment.
Homesite is an insurance company that's big on technology. Finding faster and smarter methods of improving how people buy insurance is our jam. Our crew is made up of talented and passionate professionals who aren't afraid to push the envelope. When you work at Homesite, you'll have the opportunity to pursue your creative ideas in an environment that welcomes them.
Join our team as we shake up the world of insurance!