Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lab Technician 1 - Biology/Chemistry
at Olympic College
Olympic College is recruiting to fill a part-time Laboratory Technician 1 position to assist in biology/chemistry classes. The Laboratory Technician 1 assists in preparing for labs, setting up and taking down lab materials and other laboratory work which supports the operation of athe biology/chemistry program. This is not a laboratory position that analyzes data or does research.
- Essential Functions
- Prepare materials, chemicals, and equipment necessary for the laboratory portion of biology/chemistry classes. Prepare preserved animals and tools necessary for dissections.
- Clean laboratories after classes, which includes recollecting all provided materials, cleaning and/or disinfecting bench tops, and sterilization of any bio hazardous wastes.
- May perform bacteriological work for microbiology classes, which includes maintaining stock bacterial cultures, preparation of sterile growth media, and preparation of stains and testing reagents.
- May provide care for marine animals, insects, arachnids, and plants.
- Operate laboratory equipment such as electronic balances, microscopes, spectrophotometers, pH meters, autoclaves, metering pumps and centrifuges.
- Communicate with instructors regularly to ensure laboratory set ups are adequate for the class. Modify equipment, materials and programs as required for individual instructors.
- May perform inventories of chemicals, supplies and equipment.
- May direct the work of others (Student workers).
- Assist faculty and other laboratory technicians when needed.
- Perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
- Successful Completion of college-level general biology sequence or general chemistry sequence.
- Two (2) years of lab work experience in biology or chemistry.
- Additional college course work in biology or chemistry may substitute for work experience.
- Basic computer competency, MS office preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology or Chemistry from an accredited College or University.
Successful applicants will be able to:
- Perform laboratory and related work under general supervision.
- Demonstrate knowledge of routine laboratory procedures.
- Use common laboratory equipment (balances, centrifuges, pH meters, spectrophotometers, microscopes, autoclaves, etc.)
- Follow written and oral instructions.
- Accurately perform arithmetic computation.
- Work with time constraints.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Collaborate successfully with faculty, staff, other laboratory technicians, and students from diverse cultural, geographic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Work independently and manage multiple tasks as part of a shared team.
- Possess excellent customer service skills; including building and maintaining internal/external customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of diversity and the benefits of a commitment to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the Olympic College mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrate ethics, integrity and sound professional judgment
- Additional Information
Terms of Employment
This is a part-time hourly position scheduled to work up to 18 hours per week. Flexibility in scheduling is needed to meet the demands of the department.
Conditions of Employment:
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check.
To be considered for this position a candidate must apply online through the Olympic College website and submit the following required materials:
All application materials become the property of Olympic College.
- Olympic College online Application
- Cover Letter- In your cover letter describe how your background and experience sets you apart for this position.
- Unofficial college transcripts. Official transcripts will be required of the successful candidate(s).
For technical support, contact NEOGOV at 855-524-5627 between 6am and 6pm Pacific Time, Monday-Friday.
Corrected or extended notices for this recruitment will be posted in the Human Resource Services Office and the Olympic College web site.
Olympic College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator