Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Commercial Technician I
at RCN Corporation
The Commercial Technician performs work involving installation, test, configuration, and maintenance of communications systems in Customer Premise Locations, Point of Presence (POP) and outside enclosure cabinet environments.
Systems involve SONET and ETHERNET network elements including transmission, transport and distribution systems to provide advance services and other high capacity services for commercial business customers. Use of various fiber and copper TDM and ETHERNET test equipment such as the BUTT Set, Optical Light meters, fiber scopes, Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR), JDSU-3000 ETHERNET test set with the ability to setup and test to RFC-2544 standards.
• Perform installation and testing of CAT-5 and Fiber cross connects in an MTC environment as well as Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) including ETHERNET Network Interface Devices (NID), Session Initiated Protocol (SIP) and Integrated Access Devices (IAD) for IP voice, switches, routers and media converters for data services, channel banks, 66 blocks, and RJ-48x TDM access devices.
• Terminate and test CAT-3, CAT-5 and CAT-6 and test fiber cabling
• Use of various fiber and copper TDM and ETHERNET test equipment such as the BUTT Set, Optical Light meters, fiber scopes, Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR), JDSU-3000 ETHERNET test set with the ability to setup and test to RFC-2544 standards.
• Installs, configures, provisions, checks, maintains, and adjusts a wide variety of -48V DC Power, SONET and ETHERNET transport and CPE equipment to provide voice, METRO ETHERNET, and Optical Internet services, advance services, as well as alternate access through transmission, transport, and distribution equipment.
• Verifies, validates, and authenticates the operational performance of DC Power, SONET, ETHERNET and Telephony transport and CPE equipment for compliance to design specifications and quality of service targets by utilizing appropriate test equipment and craft analysis management platforms.
• 3-Responds to alarms or outage notification; analyzes and troubleshoots problems for quick resolution in conjunction with Network Operations Center and/or local SOC and on-call engineering staff; restores service.
• Responsible for ensuring installation, documentation, and turn-up of circuits and equipment conforms to engineering standards.
• Acts as a primary liaison with other departments, vendors, customers, and interconnection activities to correct error conditions.
• Ensures transmission and distribution equipment meets Wave, franchise, and FCC standards.
• Implements work orders and coordinates installation, test, and acceptance with field systems technicians to ensure customer acceptance of circuits and services.
• Applies engineering standards, for equipment installation, cable routing, termination, testing and labeling, including equipment grounding and labeling.
• Installs DOCSIS based solutions for Small Businesses.
• Other duties as assigned by management.
• HS diploma, GED or relevant work experience.
• At least 1 years of experience in SONET/ETHERNET/Telephony/Routing/Networking environment required. 3-5 years preferred. CCNA Preferred.
• Deep and broad understanding of SONET/ETHERNET and Telephony technologies including WDM, Channel banks, 66 Blocks, DS0, DS-1, DS-3, OC-3, OC-12, and OC-48. Ability to Subnet, use of Command line interface and routing protocols, Switching, VLAN, basic MPLS.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze complex technical issues using acquired knowledge and written references as necessary, and to prioritize work in network and transport operations.
• Demonstrated broad knowledge of installation, operations, maintenance and repair of SONET, ETHERNET, Telephony and Voice transmission and customer premise equipment as well as an in-depth knowledge of SONET and ETHERNET and Routing theory.
• Proven logical, organized thought process with the ability to apply these traits to novel situations.
• At least 1 year experience in the RF industry.
• Candidate must possess a clean driving history and valid driver’s license. Limited moving violations accepted.
Diverse Workforce / EEO: WaveDivision Holdings (WDH) recognizes and strongly supports the benefits of a diverse workforce, and strives to provide a culture that recognizes the unique contributions of each of our employees. WDH requires a drug test, background check, employment, and education verification as conditions of employment. WDH is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, veteran status, and the presence of a non-job related handicap or disability, or any other legally protected status.