SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Adjunct Biology Instructor - SCC
at SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
- Spokane Community College seeks qualified candidates for consideration of employment in this adjunct (part-time) position. Classes will be taught in the morning, afternoon, or evenings.Applications will be forwarded to the hiring official as they are received and accepted until the need is filled.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares for and instructs, through various instructional modalities, transfer-level classes and laboratories in the discipline of Biology; Examples of the types of courses typically assigned include: General Biology for Science and/or Health Science Majors
- Provides availability and accessibility to students for the purpose of support, in a manner appropriate to meet student's needs, through a combination of scheduled office hours, e-mail accessibility or other effective means of responsive and timely communication;
- Communicates expectations and establishes clear criteria through appropriate instructional means, to include but not limited to developing course syllabi, handouts, and material supporting the instructional process; evaluates student progress and provides clear, timely feedback;
- Complies with state and federal law applicable to professional duties and responsibilities; Follows established procedures in areas such as printing, turning in grades, bookstore orders, student financial aid requirements, safety and health issues and related administrative process.
- Contributes to the department's efforts to improve student success/retention in biology.
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned.
- COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (Minimum Qualifications):
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (Desirable Qualifications):
- An earned Master of Arts or Master of Science degree in Biology or related field from an accredited institution.
- Previous experience teaching science material in a college environment
- Effective oral, written, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- Acceptance of and willingness to support the role that community colleges serve in higher education, and specifically the mission, values, goals and objectives of the Community Colleges of Spokane.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- A demonstrated understanding and value for the contributions that a diverse workforce can make to the success of the organization and the students we serve.
- One or more years of experience teaching college biology courses.
- Interest and/or experience in the use of technology for the learning environment, including various teaching modalities (ITV, hybrid, online, etc.)
- Experience using CANVAS or other online course management technology.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate knowledge and skills both in oral and written form with students and colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work well as a team member.
- Interest in, and knowledge of, biology curriculum specific to allied health fields, such as nursing.
- Work or life experience in a career field involving the practical application of general biology.
- CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:This is an adjunct (part-time) position. Compensation will be pro-rated according to the amount of workload assigned. CCS reserves the right to cancel this recruitment without notice. Academic employees are represented by the Association of Higher Education (AHE), which is affiliated with NEA and WEA. Membership is optional.CONDITIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the U.S. This is an absolute condition of employment. In addition, CCS maintains a drug free work and learning environment and prohibits smoking in all college buildings and state-owned vehicles. CCS employees must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural and diverse work and educational environment. Requires Criminal background check. If using personal vehicle for travel, proof of driver's license and car insurance required.
- REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application including supplemental questions.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references*
- College transcript(s) if applicable - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer
NOTE:All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position.The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required to be included as an attachment to your application prior to submission.
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.