State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
L&I Customer Service Specialist 2 (Bilingual/Spanish)
at State of Washington
Our Mission: Keep Washington Safe and Working! Our Values: Customer Focus, One L&I, Respect, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Learning and Growth, Reliability.
Washington is America's Top State according to U.S. News (2019) and we provide one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation. Here at the Department of Labor & Industries (L&I), we believe that your voice matters. We value our employees and offer flexible schedules that respect your work/life balance. In addition, L&I is a diverse state agency dedicated to the safety and health and security of Washington's 2.5 million workers. Learn more about L&I, the employer of choice here.
Are you looking for a position that supports and contributes to the economic well-being and safety of Washington's workers?
Reporting to the Office Manager, this position is a member of the Customer Service Program, Region 5. As a team member, they share equally in the responsibility for providing direct service to customers of all agency programs, both those who walk in and those who call in, as well as providing service to internal staff. Explains agency policies, procedures, laws and processes; informs customers of their rights and responsibilities; acts as a liaison between customer and agency; resolves customer service related complaints; uses knowledge of agency policies and procedures to assist customers with completion of agency forms, and participating with the Business Licensing Service and Department of Revenue for Master Business licenses.
The position supports and contributes to the mission of Labor & Industries by resolving complaints and problems, providing access to agency benefits programs, licensing and regulations for Labor & Industries programs using applicable laws, regulations, and processes. Assists customers with opening of accounts, payment of assessed fees or on accounts, payment agreements, and collections of money.
This position supports and contributes to the economic well-being and safety of Washington's workers.
Communicates with customers in English and Spanish regarding claims, employer services, employment standards, contractor registration, and other areas within the office. Requires the ability to fluently speak, read, and write in both English and Spanish. This position acts as a bilingual interpreter for Spanish speaking customers.
Some of what you'll do
- Assist customers with licenses, registrations, permits and other government services.
- Respond to questions about agency programs in person and on the telephone.
- Accept payments and complete financial transactions accurately.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Work in a strong team atmosphere, share information and utilize your group to problem solve.
- Provide exceptional customer service; proven ability to listen attentively, recognize and identify issues, provide options and fulfill services.
- Perform data entry and use multiple computer applications simultaneously. Enter information, update databases and utilize the Internet as a resource.
- Process cash, check, debit and credit card transactions accurately.
- Speak with upset, confused, demanding and difficult customers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Clearly express complex information using language appropriate for the customer.
- Acute attention to detail when reviewing materials for completion, accuracy, errors and omissions.
- Prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously. Manage interruptions appropriately and return to incomplete tasks.
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Adhere to a work schedule of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Ability to travel occasionally to other office locations to provide coverage and to attend training.
Who should apply
Customer service professionals with experience working directly with financial information and money with the ability to communicate in both English and Spanish. We seek your proven ability to perform in an unpredictable and fast paced environment, provide support and assistance to customers in person, over the phone and via email.
Here's what we're looking for
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of experience working in an office setting, utilizing computer/word processing programs, multiline phone systems, providing direct customer service and clerical/office support is desired.
- One year of cash handling experience.
- Previous experience providing customer-centered actions/customer service, listening attentively, identifying issues, providing options, resolving complaints etc.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication to varied audiences.
- Ability to maintain and understand confidential information.
- Ability to work as part of a team, collaborative with meeting productivity standards, deadlines, and making effective use of work time.
Consideration will be given to complete applications. In addition to your application, the process requires that you include:
- Letter of interest/cover letter
* Our top applicant will be required to pass an assessment of your ability to write and speak Spanish fluently. We do not use translating software.
- Supplemental Information
- Prior to any new hire into L&I, a background check, including criminal record history, will be conducted.
- This position is represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE).
- Employees driving on state business shall have a valid driver's license. If driving a privately owned vehicle on state business, must be insured.
- Candidates who are offered a job with L&I must possess work authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa now or in the future.
The State of Washington is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with a disability who need assistance in the application process or testing process, or those needing this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 902-5700. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our award-winning diverse and inclusive organization.
If you have any questions regarding this announcement, program, or the agency please contact April Elias at firstname.lastname@example.org.