State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Public Transportation Safety Administrator
at State of Washington
Note: This recruitment is open until filled, however it is encouraged you apply early. The first review of applications will take place on March 24th. The salary above includes the 5% King County Premium.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT has an exciting opportunity for an experienced transportation safety professional to be our transit Safety and Security Officer. The primary responsibility of this management position is to provide safety oversight of rail transit authorities including Sound Transit, the Monorail, Seattle Streetcar, and Tacoma Link. They will also work directly with 32 transit agencies, tribes, cities, counties and more than 170 grantees to help ensure safety policies, processes, and procedures are effective and meet all state and federal requirements. The objective of this position is to help ensure public and worker safety on public transportation through the development and implementation of standards, policies, and procedures. This leader will also provide organizational safety direction for drug and alcohol prevention programs, and public transportation asset management. Safety is a key to the ability of public transportation systems to provide multimodal service. If safety is a passion that has turned into a successful career for you and you're looking to take the next step down that path, we strongly encourage you to apply today!
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities of this role, the Public Transportation Safety Administrator will:
- Develop, implement, and administer public transportation safety oversight policies, procedures, standards, and protocols for public transportation providers.
- Provide system oversight, analysis, and review to ensure equipment and vehicles are in a state of good repair; operators and mechanics are drug- and alcohol-free; employees are well-trained in safety practices and procedures; and management and executives promote a safety-first culture in the workplace.
- Conduct safety audits to ensure compliance with federal and state safety requirements.
- Engage the Federal Transit Administration, the American Public Transportation Association, and other national associations on evolving safety issues.
- Participate in a forum for states' public transportation safety offices across the nation to continuously improve and update best practices.
- Analyze complex federal and state legislation and regulations to determine effects on agencies, grantees, and WSDOT.
- Establish cooperative working relationships with transit agencies, nonprofits, fixed rail guideway systems, regulators, and agency and national peers.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- At least 10 years of progressive experience in management and a record of proven leadership.
- A bachelor's degree with an emphasis in transportation, planning, urban design, safety, or a related area of study.
- Knowledge of safety laws, regulations, and analysis procedures.
- Demonstrated strategic leadership skills.
- Effective communications including the abilities to verbally present to large groups and to produce written communications including reports and presentations.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- A masters' degree in engineering, planning, urban design, or safety.
- Complete FTA safety certifications.
- Project-management certifications.
- Advanced technical skills.
- Knowledge of federal, state, regional, and local transportation legislative processes.
- This announcement is open until filled. Application review will begin Tuesday, March 3. Candidate selection may take place at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
- Work/life balance – we offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid leave – in addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum of 14 paid vacation days per year.
- Plan for your future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs and much more. Go to our state benefits page for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the "work experience" portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eirik Landes at LandesE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-HQ-0W548 in the subject line.