Tacoma Community College
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Laboratory Stockroom Assistant - Sciences
at Tacoma Community College
Pay: $12.35 to $14/hour
$12.35 - $14
Job Status: Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 656720
Categories: Administrative/Clerical, Science/Biotech/Research, Healthcare - Lab/Hematology/Pathology
Overall Job Objective
- Position Summary
- This recruitment is to establish an applicant pool for future vacancies. Individuals will be contacted as vacancies occur.
Provide assistance in supporting science teaching laboratories and auxiliary areas in the Science and Engineering Building. This may include work in biology, earth science, chemistry or physics. Assist with laboratory cleanliness and organization, assist with preparation of laboratory supplies for science courses, assist with the auxiliary functions of the science stock rooms. Actual duties are contingent upon education, training, experience, and departmental needs. This position reports to the Science Lab Technician.
- Essential Functions
- Assist with keeping laboratories, stockrooms, and storage areas clean and organized.
- Assist with keeping supplies, materials and equipment clean, organized and ready for use.
- Prepare and put away reagents, equipment, supplies or specimens for laboratory sessions.
- Conduct and update inventories of equipment, supplies and reagents.
- Learn microbiology techniques, procedures and equipment use and assist with preparation of microbiological media and maintenance of bacterial cultures.
- Learn treatment and disposal of chemical or biological hazardous wastes.
- Assist with maintaining the greenhouse (includes watering, pruning, fertilizing, and pest control).
- Assist with aquarium maintenance and educational displays.
- Work with and around fresh and preserved animal specimens, and assist with care of live specimens.
- Provide clerical support for the laboratories, including the creation of Excel spreadsheets, labels, and other pertinent documents for the laboratories.
- Provide occasional support in the reception area of the Science and Engineering Building working with the public over the phone and in person.
- Provide other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Successful completion of college level coursework in biology or chemistry, or equivalent training or experience.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office applications, such as Word and Excel.
Conditions of Employment
- Associates degree in a field closely related to the position, or equivalent training/experience.
- Experience working with equipment, reagents or bacterial cultures in a laboratory setting.
- Knowledge of safe laboratory practices.
The Successful Candidate must Demonstrate
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check prior to employment.
- The ability to stand for long periods of time, be able to stoop and bend, and be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Excellent customer service skills; including building and maintaining internal/external customer satisfaction and the ability to problem solve.
- An appreciation of diversity and the benefits of a commitment to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace.
- Ethics and integrity and sound professional judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with students, faculty and staff.
- Responsibility of reporting to work when scheduled and notifying manager prior to absence.
- Fluency in English, including the ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work safely and independently.
- Application Process
- Application MaterialsComplete application packages must include the following:
Terms of EmploymentThis is an hourly position working approximately 15-16 hours per week. Flexibility in scheduling is required to meet department needs and falls within regular business hours, Monday-Friday during the academic year, and Monday-Thursday during the summer. The hourly pay rate is $12.35 -14.00 DOQ. A collective bargaining agreement exists and membership in the Washington Federation of State Employees or payment of a service fee may be required.
- Tacoma Community College online application.
- Resume and cover letter.
- Copies of transcripts from colleges or universities attended.
Tacoma Community College values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer and EducatorTacoma Community College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types). Provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees, and applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Federal Rehabilitation Act. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Title II and Title IX, 253-566-5054; Section 504 Officer, 253-566-6006. (*Tacoma Community College is a smoke-free/drug free environment. This recruitment announcement does not reflect the entire job description and can be changed and or modified without notice.)
Tacoma Community College
6501 S 19th St Bldg. 14, Tacoma WA 98466