Tacoma Community College
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Reader / Scribe
at Tacoma Community College
- Position Summary
This part-time, temporary position supports the delivery of interpretive services for a blind or visually impaired student under the supervision of the Access Services Manager.
The main function of this position is that of a Reader/Scribe in the classroom. This position requires the use of computer software such as Microsoft Word. The candidate will work closely with faculty and staff. The candidate must respond to unexpected accessibility challenges in the classroom. Work hours are dependent upon the class schedule of the student or students needing services and will continue based upon student registration and attendance.
- Essential Functions
- Ability to provide services to students with limited visual acuity and/or legally blind.
- Familiarity with course content including words, terms, symbols or signs in the English language.
- Ability to read aloud text on a page, computer screen or white board in a clear voice and at a normal pace with good pronunciation.
- Ability to describe pictures in words.
- Ability to scribe (type) oral information verbatim, in real-time, during faculty lecture.
- Ability to scribe (pencil & paper and/or typing) dictated information from student.
- Ability to record dictation word for word, clarifying with student their intended punctuation, capitalization and spelling.
- Ability to provide verbal cues for guiding, as needed.
- Ability to provide hands-on interpretation of course content in lab; ability to negotiate appropriate physical contact with sensitivity to issues of culture.
- Ability to work with the student comfortably and compatibly without creating unnecessary pressure or unrealistic expectations, while supporting the student in increased competency.
- Willingness to be patient and to repeat information multiple times.
Successful Candidate must be able to Demonstrate
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Experience scribing conversations and lectures in real time.
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Word.
- Strong customer service skills, including experience working with a diverse population.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proofreading and editing.
- Experience working with people with disabilities preferred.
- Demonstrated organizational and written skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; capable of making independent judgments and taking action with limited direction.
- Strong organization and attention to detail, with ability to multi-task; strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to represent the college in a positive manner.
Work hours are dependent upon the class schedule of the student or students needing services and will continue based upon student registration and attendance.
- Successfully complete a criminal history background check.
- Monday: 12:00-1:20pm
- Tuesday: 11:00-1:20pm
- Wednesday: 12:00-1:20pm
- Thursday: 11:00-1-20pm
- Application Process
- Complete application packages must include the following:
Terms of EmploymentThis is an hourly position scheduled to work varied hours up to 16 hours per week. Flexibility in scheduling is required to meet department needs. Must be able to be available during student's class schedule. Currently, the position will need to be available from April 2 to June 15 the following time: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 9:30am; Tuesday/Thursday 10:30am - 1:00pm; Monday/Wednesday 1:00pm - 2:30 pm. The pay rate is $12.35 per hour.
- Tacoma Community College online application.(Ensure to include 3 professional references)
- Cover letter and Resume.
- Include recommendation from a faculty member. (Only if you are a current TCC Student)
Tacoma Community College values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer and EducatorTacoma Community College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types). Provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees, and applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Federal Rehabilitation Act. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Title II and Title IX, 253-566-5054; Section 504 Officer, 253-566-6006. (*Tacoma Community College is a smoke-free/drug free environment. This recruitment announcement does not reflect the entire job description and can be changed and or modified without notice.)
Tacoma Community College
6501 S 19th St Bldg. 14, Tacoma WA 98466 www.tacomacc.edu/careers