Waste Connections, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Heavy Equipment Operator
at Waste Connections, inc.
Job TitleHeavy Equipment Operator
Requisition Primary LocationPuyallup, Washington
We are looking for a safety conscience Heavy Equipment Operator to join the team at our Landfill located in Graham, WA.
General Summary: Under general supervision, operates large, heavy mobile equipment, performs routine maintenance, cleans and maintains equipment. Will be a minimum of 40 hours per week and the schedule will be as follows: Will work at least 8 hrs/day with some OT. This is a union position so candidate will have to join the 612 Union within 30 days of hire and wage scale will be graduated for the first year (start at 80% of scale then goes to 90% after 6 months then 100% after a year).
Operates a variety of heavy equipment including loaders (972 and 980), tippers, D-9 dozers, 345 excavator, D-400 Cat Truck and 836 compactors. Performs routine inspection and maintenance. May assist mechanics in some repairs. Responsible for servicing equipment including fueling and checking hydraulics. Exercises appropriate precautions by visually identifying hazardous waste symbols. Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices. Perform other such duties and functions as may be necessary or incidental to the proper performance of this position
- Must have a High school diploma or GED
- 2+ years experience related to the duties specified above.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Already be part of or the ability to join Union 612 within 30 days
- Must be able to work schedule stated above.
- Must have experience operating 972/980 size loaders and/or D-9 Dozers
- Preferred experience with all other equipment listed above.
Physical/Mental Demands: Job applicants must be able to:
- Climb in and out of equipment cabs constantly throughout the shift. Must be able to step into vehicles at a height of approximately 2 to 3 feet.
- Exert force and lifts up to 50 lbs frequently; 50 – 100 lbs occasionally
- Constantly handle, grip, and grasp controls, and push buttons to operator equipment controls; coordinate the movement of more than one limb simultaneously to properly and efficiently operate certain equipment.
- Work in small, cramped spaces such as an equipment cab.
- Remain in sitting position for extended periods of time.
- Regularly walk across rough, uneven or rocky or waste surfaces.
- Frequently operate levers or pedals and makes fine, highly controlled muscular movements to adjust the position of control mechanisms.
- Regularly perform extensive physical activity and strenuous physical work.
- Demonstrate visual and auditory acuity in order to safely operate heavy equipment.
- Regularly uses a variety of hand and other tools to perform regular maintenance.
- Frequently walk, stand, sit, bend, stoop, crouch, kneel, climb stairs and ladders.
- Regularly reach above, at and below shoulder level.
- Work safely without presenting a threat to self or others.
- Communicate effectively and cooperate with co-workers, customers and managers.
- Perform basic daily clerical duties such as maintenance forms or equipment logs
- Work schedule varies must be available all days.
Work Environment: Job applicants must be able to:
- Constantly work under adverse conditions including outside in any weather, around rodents, insects, foul smells, dirt, dust, and hazardous conditions such as ice and snow.
- Constantly work outdoors, sometimes in extreme weather conditions, around machinery and around co-workers.
- Frequent exposure to dust, fumes, smoke, gases odors and excessive noises.
- Occasional exposure to chemicals, solvents, grease or oil and slippery or uneven surfaces.
To be considered for any of our current openings you must complete an application at www.wasteconnections.com . Application information and additional instructions can be found once you select your position of interest.
Waste Connections is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran)
Terms and conditions of employment with Waste Connections will be covered by the applicable Operating Engineers Local 612 collective bargaining agreement.
Who We Are
Waste Connections is an integrated solid waste services company that provides solid waste collection, transfer, disposal and recycling services in mostly exclusive and secondary markets. Our goal is to create an environment where self-directed, empowered employees strive to consistently fulfill our constituent commitments and seek to create positive impacts through interactions with customers, communities, and fellow employees.
OUR PEOPLE MEAN EVERYTHING TO US
Waste Connections is always working to protect the health of the communities we serve, and we are grateful for the hard work and dedication that you bring to your job every day. Working here means you are a safety-minded individual who is making important contributions on a daily basis that will make a positive impact on those around you. We appreciate that you are a person of integrity who takes pride in the work you do.
BUILD TALENT FROM WITHIN
People who want to gain valuable professional experience will find that Waste Connections is a fantastic place to work. You’ll enjoy the opportunity for beneficial training and professional development opportunities that can help enhance your skills and lead the way to a more promising future.
LET’S REALIZE YOUR GOALS TOGETHER
Bring your passion to succeed and you’ll quickly discover that great opportunities are all around you. At Waste Connections, you’ll thrive if you are friendly, dedicated, and prefer a work hard/play hard culture that is focused on maintaining our reputation as the premier waste services company in the markets we serve.