YMCA of Greater Seattle
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Camp Orkila Aquatics Program Counselor
at YMCA of Greater Seattle
- # of Openings
- YMCA Camp Orkila
- Resident Camp
- 484 Camp Orkila Rd
Thank you for your interest in Camp Orkila's Aquatics Position!
Apply now to join the Orkila Staff Community as an Aquatics Program Counselor. This is a great opportunity to be part of a team committed to building safe and inclusive environments for young people. For more information about Camp Orkila and its programs, visit us at www.camporkila.org
More about the position:
Aquatics Program Counselors facilitate all of our pool and waterfront activities! These activities include boating, dock jumps, pool parties, open recreation, swim lessons, polar bear swims, and “Get Wet Get Dirty.” Other duties include cleaning and caring for the pool and equipment. Program Counselors live in cabins with Cabin Counselors and campers, serving as a counselor when not working in their assigned program area. Those who have spent time as a certified lifeguard, swim instructor, or swim coach are especially encouraged to apply. Applicants must be able to swim 500 yards uninterrupted and dive up to 12 feet in open water. We will offer a lifeguard course prior to the start of staff training for individuals who are not already certified. Aquatics Program Counselors perform other duties as assigned and are led by the Aquatics Unit Director.
- To learn more about working with Camp Orkila and the Y, please visit us online at www.campingandoutdoorleadership.org
Please note that if you are interested in multiple positions with Camp Orkila this summer it is only necessary to apply to one posting. We will be happy to consider you for all open positions during the interview process.
- Ensures that all campers are accounted for and safe at all times.
- Provides recreation swim and boating supervision.
- Maintains proper ratio of 1 guard for 25 campers and 1 staff member for every ten.
- Facilitates program activities that are developmentally appropriate and which promote camper skill and character development. Leads and assists with facilitation of all-camp special events.
- Provides leadership and supervision to any developing teen leaders placed in their area.
- Maintains safety and cleanliness standards. Takes special note of individual camper health needs or concerns on a daily basis. Shares cleaning duties with fellow staff.
- Communicates personal or camper needs to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Maintains equipment in sound and safe order.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings.
- Assists with emergency waterfront drills.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Current state approved first aid certification.
- Current state approved CPR certification.
- First Aide/CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- WSI preferred.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- One or more years of college preferred.
- Current Lifeguard certification required.
- Ability to participate in activities that involve rigorous activity in an outdoor setting, including, but not limited to hiking, boating, camping and swimming.
Competencies for success at the Y:
- Values - Strengthens the Y's culture by demonstrating the values of the Y - honesty, caring, respect, and responsibility - in every aspect of work.
- Inclusion - Models cultural competence and supports diversity, effectively working with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions.
- Develop Self and Others - Demonstrates teamwork and personal accountability, seeking and providing feedback, coaching, and resources for development.
- Quality Results - Takes the initiative and holds self and others accountable to meet or exceed quantitative and qualitative goals relating to people (employees and members), philanthropy, finance and volunteerism.
- Change Capacity - Facilitates change, seeks opportunities in the change process, models adaptability, and leads transition in support of the Y's mission.
- Inspire Others - Promotes creativity, generates excitement, and rewards risk taking, while consistently demonstrating a high level of emotional maturity, maintaining a positive attitude and building strong relationships.
Become a leader on our team at the YMCA of Greater Seattle where we promote a continuous learning environment and career opportunities. Competitive pay range and excellent benefit package includes YMCA membership, health, dental, life and disability insurance; tuition assistance; 12% retirement contribution, as eligible.
The YMCA of Greater Seattle is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are a drug & alcohol-free workplace.
For Office Use Only: # swimming jobs